- 28 October 2012It was snowing all last night, the temperature plummeted and it did not stop until around 10.00 this morning. There is around 3 inches or 10cm of snow on the balcony outside the Chalet, long icicles by reception and the whole village has turned into Narnia overnight. We were due to have workmen arrive at the Chalet to finish of some of the renovation works
- 27 October 2012Over last weekend, we collected our new vehicle - a Landrover Defender - from the main dealer in Gap and drove this to Les Gets. We will now be sure of getting around Les Gets in even the worst possible winter conditions.
Collecting the Defender was quite a 'mission' – we left Maidenhead in the UK at 04.15 on Friday morning for Gatwick – we flew to Marseilles – as this is the closest airport to Gap – and then picked up a hire car. The weather in Marseilles was like a warm English summer day.
- 10 October 2012The past few months have been exceptionally busy for us in Les Gets:
We are having a lot of work carried out on the Hastings Chalet: Firstly, we are totally re-furbishing the staff apartment – our staff work hard for long hours – so it will be great for them to be able to return at the end of the day to a much more comfortable (and sound proofed) apartment, hopefully they will have even more energy to give our clients an excellent service.
- 20 May 2012We have worked with the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazine and Ski-Mobile to develop a competition to win a free ski holiday with Chalets1066 this ski season. The winner has the choice of either a week in our fully catered chalet for up to 4 people, or a week in our self catered four bedroom apartment Bayeux, which can accommodate up to 9-10. The prize includes ski passes and ski/boot hire . The closing date for entries is end January. For details and to enter go to:
- 13 May 2012Les Gets in the summer is the place to relax and unwind whilst savouring the mountain views over a long coffee in the mountain top restaurants. There is plenty for everyone from the coffee lovers who enjoy walking from café to café on the mountain tops to the adrenalin junkie paragliders.
Don't forget the mountains in Les Gets in the summer months are awash with beauty. Savour the mountain air whilst walking between mountain cafes. Hastings itself is a 20 minute walk up to Les Pleney where you can enjoy coffee and cake overlooking the mountains towards Morzine, from there walk further up Les Chavannes, even all the way to the top, passing various cafes and restaurants along the route!
- 18 April 2012These pictures were taken only yesterday in Avoriaz by Jeff and Laurie, this was their last day before returning to the UK, the lifts in Les Gets closed on Sunday yet in Avoriaz, their view was that the snow was almost as good as it was in January. Some are saying that the lifts could have stayed open longer this season.
Today it is snowing heavily in Les Gets - Sue is due to leave on Saturday - let's hope she can get to the airport!
- 14 April 2012They say that the Easter snow is poor - and you have to trek higher to do any skiing; well not so for us - we had a late start and saw the bright sun rising over the Chavannes mountain. We then took the regular Navette bus down into les Gets, bought a one day pass (adults at 20euros) and we were soon away skiing! Firstly up the Chavannes Express up to the top of the Chavannes area and then down to the Chavannes area several times. When we got braver we took the Violete run down to "the bowl" where the pistes were that little bit quieter and "off-Beat"!
- 11 April 2012Quite frankly not having been able to afford skiing lessons over here as well as everything else (we learnt - well had had a few sessions - at Xscape MK) we kitted out, took the bus into Les Ges (there is a free bus which circles the town every 30 minutes) (as well as a train which circles the village too!), and took the "Bubble lift" up to the Chavannes area.
- 11 April 2012A typical holiday day for me at Chalet 1066 has started off with warm bread being delivered straight to the door. After we would get ready and walk to the bus stop which takes us down to the town, where we then get off and walk to the slopes. We will then get onto either the bubble lift or the chairlift which takes us up to where all the slopes are. Les Ges is a very comfortable place to ski especially if you are a beginner you can start off on the green slopes and then gradually onto the blue and then if you're feeling confident enough you can attempt the red. There are also the black runs but they are very difficult and are more for the advanced skiers and snowboarders!
- 10 April 2012We arrived on an early easy-jet plane which left Luton at 7.25am. Luton to Geneva. A nice flight, efficient and pleasant took us to Geneva and then the strangely titled company Skiidy Gonzales took us up to Les Ges. Actually Skiddy Gonzales runs a series of small, up-to-date mini-busses which continually run from Morzine / Les Ges to Geneva and back; driven by young, sensible, and highly educated young people in their 20s. A great welcome actually - and they will help with questions etc.
- 08 April 2012It has been snowing most of the day today, in Les Gets. The temperature felt the coldest for two months - so cold I had to wear a balaclava underneath my helmet for the first time this ski season - and this is Easter Sunday! The piste was excellent on all but the very lowest slopes in Les Gets. It is looking like we are set for an excellent end to the season.
- 02 April 2012The sun is Brilliant ! the Skiing is Brilliant ! My favourite piste is closed !
I am learning to ski and an now qualify myself as " not too bad " and so love to show off my colours ( you know .... i did a black run today ... Chamosiere or even the Yeti etc )
Truth be told, I am still much more comfortable on blues and the occasional reds. One of those red is La Tulipe, fabulous views over Mont Blanc and Dents du Midi at the top with great photo opportunities, scary scary beginning and then a magnificent wide piste ( we are talking very wide here ), the Wetzet in the middle ( restaurant and pipi room )