- 30 June 2013I have just come back from two weeks training, on the glacier at Les Deux Alpes, for the Test Technique and the infamous Euro Speed Test. To teach in France requires the highest qualifications in the world for a ski instructor, the Euro Test is well known as being very hard to pass, however, the Test Technique is a lower level and, if you pass this, and have BASI 2, you are allowed to work as a Stagaiare for ESF for up to 5 years.
- 23 June 2013Only three or four weeks ago there was still snow in the ground, last week temperatures rocketed to around 30 degrees Celsius – hopefully we will have a good summer.
Sue, Ben and Morven have been working hard preparing for the start of the summer season. They have also had help from Simon and Raf who have been doing building works, gardening and painting.
- 02 June 2013We first visited Les Gets in the summer, for a mountain biking holiday. We had mountain biked in most areas in the UK, we have also been to the Rockies, it was clear that Les Gets is by far the best location in the world, there is a fantastic range of beautiful routes right on your door step, there are real mountains and traditional villages. No where else in the world has all this.
- 23 March 2013Conditions last weekend in les Gets can only be described as fantastic. On Saturday, it was beautiful, clear skys, recent snow, temperature probably around minus 1 or minus 2, excellent snow on the pistes and not crowded at all.
- 16 March 2013We visited Les Gets in January and stayed in the Le Laype catered chalet. We had a fantastic holiday and were extremely well looked after by the whole Chalets 1066 team all week!
We booked our airport transfers through Chalets 1066 and our driver, Andy, was there waiting for us at the airport and took us to our chalet. When we arrived, Laurie, our chalet host, was there to greet us and show us around the chalet, which was lovely. Everything we needed was there, it all felt clean and fresh, and it was all made warm and cosy with a log fire, with a brilliant view of the mountains.
- 31 January 2013Saturday:
We had a warm welcome when we arrived at the chalet La Lapye. That evening we used a bus about 30 meters from the chalet to go down to the village and collect our passes. Our rental skiing gear was also already in the chalet waiting to be tried on. Ski mobile then phoned to take any details about how well things fitted. They returned first thing in the morning to fit us with helmets and to bring other boot sizes. In the evening we had a lovely dinner and got to know the other guests.
- 27 January 2013Some of the hardier families will be fifteen minutes early for the first lift up in the morning, whatever the weather. Hours of intense skiing follow. The piste map was carefully studied the night before, and is now covered in biro, solved like a dot-to-dot problem. It guides the group across the mountains, ticking off run after run. The operation has militaristic efficiency. Come midday, the group is tired. They might take shelter with pre-packed baguettes and thermos flask. And the weaker among them might look longingly at another family below them. This family is heading into a restaurant, ready, after a leisurely ski, to soak themselves for an hour in espressos, vins chaud, pressions, and frites with mustard mayonnaise.
- 10 January 2013I'm just back from a brilliant week in Les Gets, days of stunning blue sky and sunshine. The snow was good, a little bit icy at times but more is forecast later this week so looks set for a good season.
I just love the sense of peace and tranquillity I get when I visit the mountains, especially when I settle down on the chair lift, it whooshes up and there's suddenly a wonderful quietness. The thrill of the mountains never fails to impress me.
- 05 January 2013While the Chavannes side of Les Gets is busy, today I spent a couple of hours on Mont Chery and there were no queues at the lifts at all.
When you get to the top of the 'bubble' lifts going up Mont Chery, there is a telescope and amazing views over Les Gets village.
- 01 January 2013New Years eve and new year's day in Les Gets:-
Fireworks, Snow, powder, skiing, great food, jazz playing in the streets, children making wooden Christmas decorations, ice skating.....new Year's Eve and Day in Les Gets...
- 13 November 2012Forward bookings for the 2012-13 ski season are the best we have ever had. We have decided to offer the following special offers:
Wessex and Bayeux - 15% discount on available weeks through the ski season.
Week of 12th to 19th January - 10% discount on all accommodation for full weeks where available.
For details...Read more........
- 07 November 2012This picture was taken yesterday morning by Ben, the weather is wonderful – with crisp snow on the ground, a clear sky and beautiful clear mountain air.
With temperatures of minus 20 degrees Celsius and deep snow for 4 to 5 months of the year, chalets in the Alps need taking care of to ensure they are in good condition for each ski season.