A Biking Summer coming in Les Gets - MTB
In Les Gets, the mountain biking season began the weekend before last, the lifts were running and the village was busy. Yesterday we had the finals of the famous Road cycling race – the Criterium du Dauphine in Les Gets.
We are excited to have three more major bike event shortly to follow:
- The Passportes du Soleil – weekends of 19-20th June and 27-28-29th of June
- The UCI Downhill Finals – 2nd to 4th July
- The Childrens Downhill championships – 11th July
- Alambike, a 24 hours XC race - 5th September
With the UCI Finals being held in Les Gets, we have clearly re-gained our crown as the world centre of mountain biking.
However, not only does Les Gets have arguably the worlds best mountain and road cycling, it is also child friendly, with a bike park, a pump track in the middle of the village and routes marked as ‘green’ and suitable for children/learners.
Biking for all tastes
To summarise the facilities in and around Les Gets for all types of bikes:
Having mountain biked around the world, we are confident that Les Gets offers the worlds best mountain biking. You can literally roll out of bed and be on the most amazing tracks within a few minutes. In total, there are 17 DH tracks, 5 XC tracks, 22 lifts and 130 kilometres of tracks. For those who wish to discover the Portes du Soleil, the Bike Park is connected to the domain, offering 650 kilometres of trails across France and Switzerland.
E-bikes have become very popular over the last few years, particularly e-mountain bikes. Les Gets now has many trails specifically for e-bikes and most bike hire shops in the village offer e-bikes. Read our article on the subject to find out how to choose the perfect electric bike for your activity!
The Cols around Les Gets have been famous for many decades, often being part of the route taken by the Tour de France. Some of the famous cols include: The Joux-Plane, Avoriaz, Col de La Colombiere, Ramaz and even the road up Mont Chery. More information on road cycling here.
Furthermore, the resort has won the French label "Accueil Vélo" (translated: Welcome Bike) as proof of our road and mountain bike facilities.
And to help prepare your holiday, we give in this article, a few ideas for accommodation ideal for road or mountain biking.
Events not to be missed
As mentioned, the final stage of the Criterium du Dauphine was held yesterday, the following major bike events are yet to come:
19-20 June and 27-28-29 June 2021 - Pass'Portes
Organized over two weekends due to health conditions, the event, replacing the 2020 edition is already, full following the postponement of registrations from last year. The riders will be able to compete in this famous XC event in the Portes du Soleil which is open to all ( subject to a basic fitness test).
2-3-4 July 2021 - UCI MTB World Cup
Postponed from last year, Les Gets will host the finals of the UCI Mountain Bike event, this covers both Downhill and Cross Country. Ben and Mark inspected the route on the Mont Chery side and they report some incredible jumps – as much as 3m high for the downhill finals. This is a new route and far more aggressive than the route taken for the Crankworx World Championships, Ben and Mark say that this will be an incredibly exciting race. For latest updates and a video, see our Events page.
4-5 September 2021 - The Alambike
Ready for a 24-hour bike relay? In teams of four to eight people, the riders will compete on the mythical course of the final of the Cross-country MTB World Championships, all for the benefit of a local charity.
Our chalets for your mountain bike or road bike holidays
We have many chalets and apartments, with a secure bike storage to ensure that your holiday is relaxing and convenient. Some of the suitable accommodation includes
Les Chavannes area
- Chalet Duc de Savoie, with its spacious garage and large terrace is ideal for large groups of up to 14 people.
- Chalet Au Gré du Temps, with its large garage to store your bikes, its garden, its two terraces and its 5 bedrooms is a real haven of peace for 10 people. Further up the Chavannes road,
- Chalet Hastings, where our office is located, is made up of 3 flats, Edith, Bayeux and Wessex, which can accommodate 6, 9 and 10 people respectively. A large communal garage is available to keep your mountain bikes safe after a day of riding the slopes.
- Not far from there, the chalet Panda with its 2 bedrooms, private garden and garage can accommodate 4 people.
- The recently renovated Chalet Champs de La Lune is ideal for 8 people with its 4 bedrooms, its large terrace with a view of Mont-Chéry and its large garage.
- And for a luxury chalet, two solutions are available. Chalet Atray and Chalet Louis, located not far from the Golf des Folliets and both having a storage space for bikes, are magnificent chalets that can respectively accommodate 12 and 10 people with a high standard of decoration and comfort.
- Chalet Louis has a beautiful hot tub with a beautiful view on the Mont-Chéry.
- The 3 flats in Chalet Rochebrune, La Turche, Mont-Chéry and Chavannes, can all accommodate 4 people, with a large shared garden and close to the centre and a shared garage.
- For groups, we recommend chalets Mélèze and The Loft, located not far from each other. Sleeping 10 and 12 people respectively, with a bike room and garden, as well as a large terrace, these chalets will delight large families or groups of friends.
- Finally, the chalet Cocoon, an unusual and unique accommodation in Les Gets, located near the Mont-Chéry cable car, has a large garage and an incredible view. A little extra, departure and return directly from the Mont-Chéry mountain bike trails from the chalet.
Lac des Ecoles area
The lake is also a great place to spend your time in Les Gets if you want to do mountain biking or road biking and also want to spend some time relaxing by the lake.
- Chalet Lunar, fully renovated in autumn 2020, is a beautiful 5 bedroom chalet with a hot tub and bike storage near the departure of the Chavannes chairlift.
- A little lower down of the lake, on the way to the village centre, the Chalet de Vantaa with its private garage, a wooden terrace, and 5 bedrooms is also perfect for 10 people.
Les Perrières and surroundings
- The chalet R'mize is perfect for up to 8 people with its 3 bedrooms, a hot tub, a large garden, a double garage and a private "petanque" court.
- La Colombe apartment, for 10 people, is also a nice and comfortable option with a view on the slopes of Les Perrières, a sauna, hot tub and a garage.
- A little further back for more tranquillity, on the Mont-Caly road, not far from Les Perrières, Chalet Ferme des Amis is ideal for a group up to 11 people. A renovated and atypical former farmhouse, the chalet has its own garage, a beautiful covered terrace, a balcony and access to the lower garden.
Do not hesitate to contact us for the organization of your stay, we would be happy to help you find the perfect chalet.
Photos credit : Tourist Office Les Gets (Mel Carle, Manon Guenot, Val Ducrettet) - Mark Nathan, Chalets 1066